Sunday, December 7, 2008

Crokinole - The Movie!

For those of you that don't know what Crokinole is, I don't know whether to pity or envy you. I'll provide you with the bare bones basics: It is a (Canadian, I believe) board game where you flick little discs on a wooden polygon in order to gain points and make your opponant lose points. There exists such a thing as the World Championship for Crokinole, and two cousins have made a documentary about this event. I MUST HAVE A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENTARY.

The Crokinole website boasts the existence of the dvd, and even offers to sell it to me...At least until I scroll down the page and it tells me that for a mere 25.95 I can have the DVD but Sorry, the DVD is out of stock. Also, it seems there are no plans to produce the movie in the near future. Or ever, for that matter.

You see my dilemna.

My fantabulous boyfriend likes crokinole very much. So much so, in fact, that at some points over the summer, I became jealous of the polygonal board. Needless to say, he attempted to buy this documentary, but failed. In the past (especially recently), this boyfriend of mine has gone above and beyond my expectations for birthday, christmas, and anniversary gifts, both monetarily and thoughtfully. I must somehow find a copy (probably used) of this for him for Christmas.

If you or someone you know knows where to get Crokinole the Movie, please point me in the right direction.

In other news, we have bought, put up, and decorated our little Christmas tree. It is beautiful with its twinkling dollarama lights, batman and musical instrument ornaments, a paper chain, and a tinfoil star as a tree topper. The cats have not yet tried to eat, climb, or kill it, which both surprises and delights me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might check to see if Crokinole Depot has a copy. Here's the URL (they don't say 'Out of Stock' so that's promising, and they are down in South Western Ontario, not too far away.)
    http://crokinoledepot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=36

    The movie is more about 'living' crokinole than playing it, but it's still a milestone and showed me a new world which has since swallowed me up, sort of. If you guys are ever in Toronto and looking for a game check out our schedule at the Toronto Crokinole Club:
    http://torontocrokinoleclub.blogspot.com/

    or in fact the new 'World Crokinole League'
    http://worldcrokinoleleague.ning.com/
    (why not start up a club in Montreal, you're a sophisticated big city too;^), you deserve a club. Call it 'pichenotte a la ronde' or 'octagonale' if you want to be distinct.
    Good Luck with that DVD
    your boyfriend is a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -------SPOILER ALERT!!!------------

    --------IVY'S BOYFRIEND--------

    ------READ NO FURTHER------

    --------LAST WARNING!!!!!!!




    (....is he gone?)

    Hello Ivy, Greg Matthison has that DVD for you but he can't figure out how to give you the good news so I'm forwarding his message to you this way. Since it's the only way I know how.
    Here is Greg's message (Greg's down near London Ontario.)

    (Bye Ivy, Eric out)

    To:
    ericrm305@yahoo.ca

    Hello Eric,

    Do you know how I can contact Ivy McDougall?

    I couldn’t find her contact info on her blog. When I try to sign is it says I need to set up a blog.

    Can you help me forward this message to her?



    Hello Ivy,

    Eric is correct. We have copies of the Crokinole movie,

    $22 for it plus shipping.

    Email me at gmatthison@rogers.com or call me at 519.619.6029

    We have other various crokinole boards and merchandise as well,

    cheers,

    Greg



    Greg Matthison

    519.619.6029

    From: Google Alerts [mailto:googlealerts-noreply@google.com]
    Sent: December-07-08 8:43 PM
    To: gmatthison@rogers.com
    Subject: Google Alert - crokinole



    Google Blogs Alert for: crokinole

    Crokinole - The Movie!
    By Ivy McDougalhopper(Ivy McDougalhopper)
    For those of you that don't know what Crokinole is, I don't know whether to pity or envy you. I'll provide you with the bare bones basics: It is a (Canadian, I believe) board game where you flick little discs on a wooden polygon in ...
    The Mighty McDougalhopper - http://mcdougalhopper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete