Monday, October 6, 2008

My Life's Soundtrack (or so they tell me)


In an obviously extremely desperate measure to procrastinate from doing my music theory assignment, I decided to do that stupid life soundtrack game. You know the one - You put your music player on shuffle and record the first number of songs, then they go in that order into the certain categories. Below is my life's soundtrack, apparently. It has a lot more Arrogant Worms , references to Saskatchewan and Yoko Ono than I would have thought.


Opening Credits:

We gotta get outta this place, The Animals


Waking up:

Nunavut, Arrogant Worms


First Day of School:

A Well Respected Man, The Kinks


Falling in Love:

Shiny Happy People, REM


Fight Song:

Pride and Joy, Stevie Ray Vaughn


Breaking Up:

Five Me Away, Badly Drawn Boy


Life is Good:

Feb. 14, Drive by Truckers


Mental Breakdown:

Stranger's Room, Yoko Ono


Driving:

The Pirate Saskatchewan, Arrogant Worms


Flashback:

Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan


Getting Back Together:

Saskatchewan, Les Trois Accords


Wedding:

Why Can't the English?, From My Fair Lady Original London Cast


Final Battle:

Unfinished, Bare Naked Ladies


Death Scene:

The Murder, Psycho


Funeral:

Be My Yoko Ono, Bare Naked Ladies


End Credits:

Girl in the War, Josh Ritter


I see a few problems with this. First of all, why is my fight song "Pride and Joy"? Is it an ironic fight song? Maybe it is music is diagetic. If that is the case, I hope this battle takes place during a live concert.


My second problem is with "Saskatchewan" being my getting back together song. This song is about a woman cheating on her husband. She leaves him for "un gars de Regina"! This doesn't show much hope for the future of my relationship! Is this again perhaps an ironic song?


Also, why is my wedding song "Why Can't the English?" I mean, I get a kick out of this song, but why not a different song from My Fair Lady, or better yet, a song that is not a dialogue. This is just going to make things awkward.


There are a few songs that are just bizarre, like "Feb. 14" for my life is good song or "Unfinished" for my final battle. Did I not finish the battle? Maybe my opponent forfeited.....and left me to die, I guess. Also, why wake up to "Nunavut"?


Oddly appropriate is the Psycho music accompanying my death. Kind of creepy....Before leaving me, my opponent in this death match must have stabbed me repeatedly. I certainly hope my blood was chocolate syrup. Also, the Kinks' song for the first day of school is funny because it's true! oh. haha. I crack myself up. Oh suburbia.


Surely this is entertaining someone as much as it is me, and I wish I could continue, but Schubert's Impromptu in G-flat Major (D899) stubbornly refuses to analyze itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment