Monday, March 2, 2009

The Beginning of Life: Part 3


So I've successfully made the move from Montreal back to the Twin Cities. I'm using the term "successfully" pretty loosely, but I'm ok with that right now. As far as I know, everything made it back and in one piece, but I have not even really begun to unpack. Upon returning to my parents' home, I was directed to move to the music room in the basement. My childhood bedroom is being turned into a closet and an office for my father, and the rest of the remodelling consists of adding a new bedroom for my parents. This means eventually I will get my parents' current bedroom, which is very nice. In the meantime, however, I will continue living in the basement with my stuff still in suitcases and boxes, hoping every day is the day I will get my own workspace.


I need the workspace, you see, because I am back in school. I am enrolled in the MAT program at Hamline University in St. Paul, working towards my licensure to become an ESL teacher. I am finding a lot of the education classes tedious and patronizing. It is only 1 month in, and I am already hating the word "reflect". Everything we do or say or write or watch has to be a reflection. How did that movie make me feel and why? What makes a good teacher and how does a good teacher make me feel? As one of my friends pointed out, I am a midwesterner! I do not share my feelings openly with strangers. The thing is, I am doing it, albeit resentfully.


Lucky for me, I have made a few friends who share my feelings (haha!) towards a certain class, and I have someone who understands and deals with my sarcasm. I feel confident that if something ridiculous or patronizing is going on, if I cannot think of a clever or snide remark, one of them will make one for me. I was getting a little snarky, however, so for lent I have decided to be more positive towards a certain class and more tolerant of some of my classmates, especially those who never seem to know what is going on, yet talk and talk and talk.


My tea drinking has not decreased, but my coffee drinking has increased. The Internet told me that studies have shown that young women who drink 3 cups of tea each day pretty significantly reduce their risks of a few cancers, so I feel good about this. Due to my increased coffee intake, I am trying to stick to the decaffeinated teas including Mint and Lady Gray. My curly-headed former roommate turned me on the the latter, and when I brought a box home, my father has decided that he, too, really enjoys it. He said it is one of his favorite teas now, which is amusing to me. As for the coffee, I need to stay awake during those long and drawn-out tedious "discussions" in my evening courses, and I really prefer to stay alert and awake on the drive home, as well.


My boyfriend has adjusted well to his new life in Madison, and I am very proud of him. Just last weekend I went out to visit him for his company's 30th anniversary party, and it was really nice to put faces to names. We talk to each other on the phone for a little bit everyday, and I've heard so much about these people. It was too bad that none of them really looked the way I expected, but I think I can get over it.


The washing machine is calling me now, with its incessant beeping.


In case you're wondering, Life: Part 1 would be baby - 12th grade and Life: Part 2 would be University life at McGill. Both of those parts went rather well, I think, so let's all cross our fingers for Life: Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment