Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Short Rant on Travel and Goldenrod

One of my best friends is getting married in a little over a year, and I am the lucky maid of honor. I admit, it is kind of fun. I get to pour over wedding magazines, check out bridesmaid’s dresses, plan an engagement party, and have an excuse to do research on various wedding dresses, venues, and honeymoon destinations. Honeymoon destinations my favorite thing to read about. Granted, my friend has not asked for my help in planning her honeymoon, and I do not have any intention of helping her. I just like reading about all the exotic places to go, where the best resorts are, and what kind of food a visitor should definitely try.

I am fascinated with travel. If you were to ask me where I want to go on vacation, I would probably start with a reasonable list, but then I’d probably get carried away and come up with a list including almost every place ever in the entire world. Heck – Who am I kidding? – I’d love to visit the moon!

What I should really do is subscribe to a travel magazine. That way, I could continue to read about awesome destinations and plan dozens of trips and vacations even after my friends’ wedding when I can’t really be seen carrying around wedding magazines anymore. Well, not in public anyway. The thing is, I’m afraid if I read these travel magazines religiously and start to really plan out these trips on paper, I may get a little carried away. Sure, right now I can list about 100 different places I would like to go, including a few activities I would like to partake in at each destination, but if I actually really plan out details, then I’ll really really really want to go.
Anyhow, that’s my dilemma on the travel situation. I would like to go everywhere and do everything, but due to a lack of funds, I do not have the luxury to travel when and where I wish. Ah well. Someday when I am a millionaire from teaching elementary ESL, I’ll retire at age 35 and spend the rest of my life have one big world adventure.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

I make myself laugh. At least I know that because travelling is a priority for me, I will make the time and effort and save the money to make as many of my dreams come true as possible. Lucky for me, my significant other loves to travel as well, so if we ever end up permanently and legally stuck together, I know he’ll not only come with me, but encourage me to do whatever and go wherever I want.

But back to the original issue at hand. My friend used to have the wedding colors of navy blue and cream with green accents, but because she has picked a venue with a lot of browns and yellows in it, she has decided we will clash. Now she is considering dressing us bridesmaids in goldenrod, except she refuses to call it goldenrod. She describes it as exactly the same color as goldenrod, but don’t call it that because that sounds yucky. Ah well. My other best friend is beside herself. As Minnesotans, we are appropriately pale from lack of sun, even in the summer. She is afraid that the goldenrod dress will not only 1. Be hard to find, 2. Never be able to be worn again, but 3. Will make her (and us other two) look sallow and sickly. Now I like me some nice yellow, but I agree that this color will be harder to find on our own, especially since we need to match each other color-wise, and I am not going to be able to get as much use out of a goldenrod dress as a navy one. Watching my one friend try to convince the other friend that if she wants navy, she should go with navy because it’ll look just fine is pretty funny.

She’s the bride, and I’ll wear the color she picks out, but I am wishing and hoping that she goes back to navy. Cross your fingers folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment