Sunday, April 19, 2009

Coloring and Pasting my way to a Graduate Degree

So the Education Hall of Fame speech went pretty awesomely. I said almost exactly what I typed last time, and said it in a really corny-on-the-verge-of-out-right-sarcastic enthusiastic tone of voice with winking and eyebrow raising. I really pulled out all the stops for my lucky classmates. As for Mr. E.D. Hirsch's suit that I was supposed to make out of that piece of light blue paper....Well, since I'm not such a great artist, he ended up wearing a cross between a ladies suit and a leisure suit. His hands looked more like claws than anything, and his shoes were a delightful shade of brown, with perhaps a little more heel than I meant. I guess the shoes really were appropriate for the outfit, however. I tried to make him a really awesome shirt and tie to make up for it, but the markers didn't really cooperate with the colored paper, and he ended up with a purple and dark purple striped tie over a dark yellow dress shirt. Ah well.



For those of you wondering what ever happened about the Crokinole movie, I did find it with the help of some nice Crokinole Enthusiasts from the Toronto area. Thank you again to them. My boyfriend loved the movie, so he says, and in two weeks when I drive out to visit him, we're going to watch it together. After that, I'll write a very stimulating review.



In other news, I have to make a poster presentation on Wednesday about The Primal Teen by Barbara Strauch. It was a pretty good book considering it was all science-y and stuff. I enjoyed a lot of the analogies between rats, chimps, and teenagers. While the book did an awesome job of describing the development of the teenage brain in layman's terms and even explained some of their crazy behavior, it offered little on the side of, "So, what do I do about this?" and "My kid got a DUI while drag racing tractors inside the old abandoned barn that in sinking into the swamp and was caught with 40 pounds of crack in his front pocket. I know his brain made him do it, but what should I have done?"



Anyway, so for my poster I needed a giant picture of a brain. And I drew one! Yay! If you stand really far back and know that it is a brain, it almost looks like it might be a brain.....that a second grader made. Still, I'm going with it.



I also had to scrapbook a page for a mock yearbook for my literature circle presentation. We read The Freedom Writers Diary (which I would not recommend) and we have to give a stupid creative presentation on it. Since it is a series of diary entries of high school students over their four years at a California High School, we decided to make a year book and each talk about a year. It's a great idea! The only thing is, everyone else in my group is a scrapbooker and good with artsy fine motor skill activities. Needless to say, I had to have my mother help me put it together so it turned out at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing. Actually, I think it turned out pretty fan-frickin-tastic, so I'm pretty proud.



So it seems in order to get my graduate degree, I have to go back to 4th and 5th grade where everything is an art project. I can deal with this, except all of my peers now produce artwork at the adult level, but I never got any better after the age of 11. In fact, I think my younger sister could provide better artistic props for my projects and presentations. Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment