Thursday, April 2, 2009

Education Hall of Fame Assignment


So apparently I should be proof reading these things, because while I was reading some of my past entries, I realized that I make a lot of mistakes. Sometimes I leave out words or repeat words. My favorite is when I start one sentence, then end it with an entirely different sentence.


It isn't so much my inability to proofread as it is laziness. I already have to proof-read my school work. What do you want from me world? HUH? But seriously, I'll try to be better about it in the future. Not now. In the future.


In other news, I made a "campaign poster" for Madeline Cheek Hunter for my Schools and Society "Education Hall of Fame" assignment. It is kind of lame, but I am proud of my subtle "7" motif. You see, she came up with the 7 step lesson plan. It was freakishly hard to find a picture of her. It turns out that there is a romance novelist with her same name, and all the pictures online are of her. Bummer. I did manage to find one small kind of blurry one, and that is the one I pasted to my little poster.


Now I have to go write a campaign speech nominating E. D. Hirsch to the class' "Education Hall of Fame". I don't even really like essentialism. Cultural literacy my foot!


I'm thinking of something along these lines, although in all honesty I have just been goofing off so far. Here's what I have (and no, I did not proofread it!):


"It is an honor to have the opportunity to nominate my close friend and esteemed colleague, Mr. E. D. Hirsch, to the Education Hall of Fame! My friend, Mr. Hirsch, combined Jefferson’s idea of the common school and the ideals of Horace Mann to create his model of the essential school system.

Mr. Hirsch believes that all children, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or gender can be successful as long as they have a good base of general knowledge. Mr. Hirsch believed that students need to be literate and have a command of a vast vocabulary because, just as Thomas Jefferson believed, America is a democracy where even the common man has a say in the political and economical decisions of the government.

We the people want our population to be as educated as possible – to know facts and vocabulary. Because learning builds on learning, a culturally literate America is a strong America."


We have to incorporate this piece of paper into the speech as well, and I am thinking of turning it into a little suit and gluing a picture of his head on top and pretending like it is him. Of course he'll be like 8 inches tall, but whatever.


I should go ACTUALLY write this speech now. Boo to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment