Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Break Adventure

I must say that I had a rather splediferous time in sunny Cozumel. I sat by the pool, sat by the beach, sat on a boat, sat in restaurants - I did a lot of sitting. I also spent a good amount of time snorkeling. Because of this, I burned my shoulders, but I'll get over it.

Snorkeling was a lot of fun. I went three times in three different places. The first time I went across the street from our hotel with my father and sister. There were many little fish, but the current was pretty strong and kept sucking my little sister out to sea.

The second time I went snorkeling, I went out at Chankanaab park. That time I had my own personal (and kind of cute) guide. This time I saw different reefs and many, many fish. There was a barracuda, and despite the insistence of my guide that they don't bite humans, I've seen their teeth and I wanted to steer clear. We also saw the giant Jesus statue that is under the water. It was cool, but it also creeped me out a little bit to swim over it, since Jesus was looking up with such anguish, reaching his arms for the sky. The guide also did this thing where he clapped his hands under the water and these little fish came and swam all around us. That was cool.

The third time I went snorkeling was off of a boat a little further from land. This time was pretty cool as well since there were many more corals and plants to sea. There were many fish and schools of fish as well.

Besides snorkeling, I also swam with the dolphins out at Chankanaab. It was so ridiculously cool! I thought I would be more nervous, but to be honest, the seagulls scared me more than the dolphins. Naturally I have photos and video footage as proof of my adventure. After swimming with the dophins, I also got to get in the water to feed lettuce to some manatees. That was pretty fun. Again, because I am silly, I was more afraid of putting my hand near the mouths of the manatees thant the mouth of the dolphins. I was just so surprised at the way their mouth opened that the first time I jerked my hand away. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was very cool to see their nails on their fins. I learned, also, that they have "fingers" inside of their front fins that help them grasp things. That was cool to watch as well.

Needless to say, the trip was great. Too bad I am back in 50 degree weather and getting ready to go back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment