Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Epi-What?

Among everything else in the world (aside from cockroaches, horses, and pine trees), I am allergic to peanuts. This allergy is kind of a pain in the neck, especially considering that at one point, in the hazy past of my early childhood, I frequently enjoyed what I remember as amazingly delicious peanut butter treats. Plus, it seems that peanuts are in everything and most factories just have peanut fights where employees chuck the little things at each other, contaminating everything in a seven mile radius. How else can you explain the warnings on the back of things such as brownie mix, Swiss Rolls, naan, or even the occasional pre-made sandwich?

As someone who is allergic to everything but may have to deal with anaphylaxis with peanut contaminated bagels, I do carry an epipen. I have one in my purse, one in my medicine cabinet, and some random, ever-so-slightly expired ones around my apartment and my parents' home. They are just a thing I have to carry. Whatever.

Today, for the first time ever, I saw a television commercial for Epi pens. At first confused, I became more and more amused. Apparently, this shot of epinephrine is not a cure-all. You still need to seek medical attention after using it. Also, you're not supposed to give yourself a shot in your butt. Who knew?

I  can't find the epi pen commercial on youtube right now, but when I do, I will share it with you.

Also, the advertisement urges you to ask your pharmacist if an epi pen or epi pen junior is right for you or your child.

Are there people out there who know they have severe allergies but whose doctors just decide not to prescribe this emergency shot of epinephrine? Maybe these people need a new doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment