Sunday, October 23, 2011

Busy Fall Playlist

This fall has been a busy one, especially between work and the developments in my romantic relationship with the handsome Mr. Sturm. I seem to not have enough time to go out for nachos with friends, do my dishes, or even hang the pictures back on the wall that have been sitting on my living room floor since I painted in August.

Still, this fall has been a good one, and I am feeling stressed, but confident and happy, so I have compiled a playlist to enjoy on an autumn day. The days are getting shorter and colder, the leaves are falling off the trees and crunching under your feet when you walk, work demands every waking minute from Monday to Friday, but the weekends are yours.

Manic Monday - The Bangles
This classic off of The Bangles’ album “Different Life” was played quite often during my childhood. I’ve been thinking recently about the cassette tapes that were played repeated as a child, and this was one of them. I often feel like Manic Mondays aren’t necessarily on Mondays, and I disagree that Sunday is the fun day. It really all depends on the week. Still, the sentiment is accurate, even if Susanna Hoff’s Manic Monday is my average day, plus it is incredibly catchy and fun to sing along with. Sometimes I imagine I have shoulder pads, hoop earrings, and awesome bangs.

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
This song always brings me back to 6th grade English class with my teacher, “H”. He used to play music rather loudly while we  did our independent work. While he played many different songs, he really cranked this one and Sugar Ray’s “Every Morning”. All around, this is a good song, whether looked at musically, emotionally, or lyrically. In fact, Chris Martin from Coldplay was, on the record, heard saying that he wished he had written this fabulous song.

I Put a Spell on You - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Halloween is nearly upon us, and so I put a spell on you, my friends. Now you are all mine. Just try to listen to this song without singing along and doing dramatic, slightly witch-like hand gestures. I dare you.

Crimson & Clover - Tommy James & The Shondells
While perhaps on the long side, this is an excellent song. Also, if you are looking to learn the lyrics to about five minutes worth of music, this song is the song for you. There really are not that many words. Still, it is fun to listen to and sing along with, and even my music-listening-in-the-car-ADD can be staved off, despite the repetitiveness. Might I also recommend the Jimmy Eat World rendition?

Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
I wish I could still whistle, but after the unfortunate rollerblading accident several years ago, alas I cannot. Still, when alone, I pretend to whistle along to this or replace the whistling with “doo”s and puckered lips, which is almost as effective.

Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
 Mr. Sturm is convinced that there is no word after the “Don’t bring me down!” part, but I disagree. I’m pretty sure they are either saying “Grrrrrruuussss!” or possibly “Bruce!”, and I am also completely convinced that it is an integral, intentional, important part of the song. One day, it will just come to me, then I will know the secret of life.

Hot Blooded  - Foreigner
Poor Mr. Sturm had to hear part of my off-key, ear-damaging rendition of this song this past weekend. It had been a little too long since I had last eaten, and I was getting a little slap-happy, so I was singing this and being goofy. Politely, he asked me, “What is that from?” To which I responded, “From? It is a song by ‘Foreigner’! Can’t you tell?” When I resumed singing, he concluded, “We need to get some more food into you.” That’s how I got caramel brownies.

Keep Your Hands to Yourself - The Georgia Satellites
While not really a country music fan, nor do I believe the whole “getting the milk for free” thing, I enjoy this song a ridiculous, almost embarrassing amount. Best cranked to an almost uncomfortable volume, the sing-alonger must mimic the inflection and vocal tics of the singer in order to truly enjoy the experience. It is also really important to kind of act out the parts. For example, when he says, “That’s when she started talkin’ about true love, started talkin’ about sin,” the sing-alonger must put their hands out and place an incredulous, almost confused look on their face.
Oh man, is this a fun song. 

Let's Spend the Night Together - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones need to make most playlists. I really quite enjoy The Rolling Stones, and some of my favorites don’t really belong on this particular list. I am getting what I want, I can get some satisfaction, I am not a Honky Tonk Woman, and I don’t need anyone to give me shelter, I’ve got that taken care of, thank you very much. And so, I can focus on other things. And after all, “This doesn’t happen to me every day. Let’s spend the night together. No excuses offered, anyway.”

Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingford
The first time I heard this song, I did not like it. The second time I heard this song, I still did not like it. Somehow, I managed to hear it enough times that it has wormed its way into my heart. And you know what? I do. I do have a pocketful of sunshine and a love that is all mine, so there.

You Don't Know How it Feels - Tom Petty
You don’t know how it feels. You don’t know how it feels – to be me. While I am not about to go roll a joint, I do love to sing the chorus if I am mildly frustrated. Just get to the point already! Come on, people!

You Always Make Me Smile - Kyle Andrews
 This happy song is fun to listen to in the parking lot at work before going in. While Mr. Sturm does not wear colorful gym shoes (in fact, he wears black, non-tennis shoes), nor is his hair particularly messy (unless I’m purposely messing it up), it still reminds me of him because he always makes me smile. And smiling is good. Smiling is fun. Smiling makes you happier and want to smile even more.


Enjoy your sweater weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment