Friday, September 26, 2008

A Splendiferous Evening Out


Yesterday I had a fabulous evening out with my fabulous friend, Lisa. We did many fabulous things in a few semi-fabulous places, but the most fabulous part of all, other than being with Lisa, was that it was all free!


We began our evening at the Linguistics lounge up on Dr. Penfield where SLUM was holding a linguistics students pizza party. After getting some drinks (I had a pepsi and Lisa had strawberry lemonade), we managed to snag a prime piece of pizza party realty - the blue couch in the corner. From this position, we could easily reach the pizza and napkins without standing up, place our drinks on tables, remain out of people's ways, and perhaps most importantly of all, we had an excellent view of the other present parties. I'd like to say that we were civilized, but that would be a lie. Secluded and unable to be overheard, we made some snarky comments about other people in our departments while munching on the chips and pizza in front of us. To be fair, we also said nice things about some people as well.


After dinner, we made a short trip to the McGill Bookstore where my fabulous curly-haired roommate works. She had won 2 tickets to a 7pm screening of "Choke", but was unable to attend because she had to work until 7:30. Lisa and I were happy to take those off her hands.


With still some time to kill, Lisa treated me to a caramel frappacino at Starbuck's. She had received a gift card, and, luckily for me, chose to share it. Sipping our sugary, caffeinated beverages, we chatted about linguistics and other academic and social matters of import.


We arrived at the theatre with plenty of time to spare, which just gave us time to read the free entertainment magazine, which is basically advertisements, but was amusing nonetheless. Then we saw the movie, which I will not discuss here only because I cannot decide whether I liked or disliked it.


Lisa kindly walked me to the bus stop afterwards, where we met my curly-haired roommate, coming home after her stint at the knitting club meeting. We three chatted for a bit, and then I rode the bus home and that was that.


All in all, it was a rather splendid and unexpected Thursday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment