Saturday, September 10, 2011

An Important Part of My Childhood I Nearly Forgot


Remember Mr. Yuk? Mr. Yuk was an important part of my childhood that I nearly forgot. They used to pass of dozens, possibly hundreds (alright, maybe I exaggerate), of these stickers to us in elementary school. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, Mr. Yuk was tied to a health unit that was repeated every year in elementary school, much like the bus safety unit (which I fully intend on discussing at a later date).

It was made very clear that we shouldn't ever drink window cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, or bleach, let alone mix them together into some kind of potent cleaning cocktail no matter how much the colors of these liquids resembled Kool-Aid. But liquids were not the only thing addressed. Children were also discouraged from chewing on urinal cakes, feces, brillo pads, and kitty litter. Then, just to make sure we could have no fun at all, I seem to remember my first grade teacher spending probably more time than should have been necessary explicilty instructing a room full of six year olds not to lick the outlets. That may or may not have happened. First grade was a long time ago.

This year I am co-teaching fourth grade science, social studies, and health, and, much to my disappointment, I have not seen a Mr. Yuk unit. Do you think they don't teach this unit anymore because kids have gotten smarter? Even if that is so, I am convinced it is because we used to be more inquisitive and active. We weren't stupid, drinking Kablam! because it was purple like grape Kool-Aid. No. We were little scientists, curious to see if, when mixed with Windex, Kablam! was a suitable substitute for Kool-Aid when the parents were too busy to mix some up for us. As for licking outlets, my friend Linnea would say that is a self-correcting behavior.

After learning about how consuming or licking all these things was bad for us and would cause us to turn green and keel over dead, we were given sheets and sheets of these Mr. Yuk stickers and instructed to go home, tell our parents about everything we learned, then stick these things all over the house.

Looking back on it, I am surprised more parents didn't become irate when their children started putting stickers all over everything. Sales of Goo-Gone were probably quite good when I was a kid. I wonder if Goo-Gone stock has plummeted since they've stopped handing the Mr. Yuk stickers out in the public schools.

Here is a pretty awesome commercial I cam across. Now, I wasn't even born when it aired, so it isn't technically something important from my childhood that I nearly forgot, but it is pretty awesome, so you should enjoy:



No comments:

Post a Comment