Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Swing Low, You Amazing Battle Hymn of Daisy Doodle!

As you may or may not know, I volunteer once a week and get to spend some time with some truly amazing retired sisters of St. Francis. It is my job to entertain them for a little over an hour on Tuesday nights. Usually, my partner and I do this with read-alouds, trivia questions, completing proverbs or sayings, or playing games, like kicking around a beach ball while naming ice cream toppings, kinds of birds, or the states.

Most of the games we play consist of us throwing bean bags at things. Sometimes we throw bean bags at a multi-colored rug where each color has a points value. Sometimes we try to throw the bean bags into a bucket. My favorite is when we throw bean bags at plastic bowling pins.

Last week we played the game "How many sisters does it take to knock down 10 pins?" Each sister got to throw the bean bag once, then it was passed to the next sister in the circle. The first time we played, we went around the circle many times, and the answer to our question was "21". Rest assured, however, that we got much better, especially when we started letting each sister throw three bean bags on each turn.

In an attempt to mix it up, and because the sisters enjoy singing so much, I have borrowed "The Geri-Tones" song book (I could not make this up, friends) to practice at home. Downstairs neighbor must think I'm insane because he has heard 30 minutes of the following line-up for the last several days:

"Hail, Hail The Gang's All Here" (1917)
"Yankee Doodle" (1770's)
"Amazing Grace" (1835)
"Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" (1857)
"O! Dear! What Can the Matter Be?" (1792)
"I've Been Working on the Railroad"
"Battle Hymn of the Republic" (1862)
"Daisy Bell" (1892)

Downstairs Neighbor and all the neighbors probably think some old lady is living up here. This musical repetiore is certainly not helping me fight the wide-spread belief that I, Ivy McDougalhopper, am an old lady.

Do you think Ludacris or Black Eyed Peas or someone that cool people listen to make piano arrangements?

No comments:

Post a Comment