Monday, November 22, 2010

A Temporary Bout of Insomnia

Alas it is one of those nights where I seem doomed to sleeplessness, but I have realized it too late to really do anything about it. I know that it really isn't that late yet, but I can tell that I am not going to be able to sleep for the next few hours. I'm feeling anxious and worked up about something, but I don't quite know what.

It has been a while now, but I am finally starting to feel like my happy, enthusiastic self again. I can sing in the shower, dance in the kitchen while cooking, and I don't even terribly mind doing the dishes after cooking. Granted, I miss having someone to cook for that did most of the dishes for me, but I am perfectly capable of doing the dishes myself. Am I perfectly capable of eating all the food I cook? Well, no, but that is a different matter. It seems I never learned to cook for one. In fact, it appears I don't know how to cook for two or three either. I just keep on cooking like I have an army to feed, when in fact it is just me. Squeaky prefers her cat food, which is good because it is probably healthier for a cat to eat cat food than chicken Tiki Marsala or baked pasta.

Now as you may or may not know, I enjoy watching "Law and Order: SVU". The Protagitron (http://protagitron.blogspot.com/) and I have spent many a weeknight watching Benson and Stabler solve crimes. We also took the "Law and Order: SVU" life lessons to heart. We know that this is not only an entertaining and completely accurate depiction of the justice system, but a warning of sorts to all us single women. In fact, I was just talking with Ashley, a colleague, about this the other day.

You see, if I have learned anything from "Law and Order: SVU" (SVU stands for Special Victims Unit, in case you didn't know), it is that any single woman living alone in any city is going to be attacked or at least targeted by a serial rapist/killer/stalker/animal rights activist. It seems that the chances of this go up dramatically if the single woman also works long hours. If you give the single woman working long hours a pet cat, well, an attack is inevitable. Now let's do the math. I am single in a city. I work ridiculously long hours. I have a cat that I treat as if she were a person. This puts me a bit ahead of Ashley who doesn't have a cat.

I wonder if the new "Law and Order: Los Vegas" or whatever it is has any important life lessons to learn? They would of course need to be relevant to my life, such as those presented in "Law and Order: SVU" (which is clearly an informative show that doesn't feed on people's fears and fascination with violence).

In other news, the Protagitron shared this with me a while back, and if you are at all even a little bit of an SVU fan, you will appreciate this:

http://www.brandonbird.com/stories.html

I think I will now go eat some cookies and watch "The Office" on DVD. Maybe if I watch a disc I've seen a lot, it will bore me so much I will fall asleep. That's really my best bet at this point. Oh boy is tomorrow going to be fun. Can you say, "Coffee!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment