Friday, August 20, 2010

Midori Sours

Yesterday, Paula came to visit me. I made an extremely fancy dinner of spaghetti with zucchini, garlic bread, and strawberry shortcake. It took quite a while to eat because I did a lot of gabbing, plus I should not be allowed to eat spaghetti in public. Actually, I don’t know that I should be allowed to eat anything in public. I completely forgot, however, that I try not to eat spaghetti in front of people I don’t know very well. All in all, it could have gone worse, and Paula did not seem especially offended by my spaghetti eating.

Afterwards, we went out for a walk. Broadway proved to be rather disappointing, what with only closed stores. But then we saw a group of people down on a corner. Even though we figured they were probably all waiting for a bus, we ventured down.

And it was a thing! There were booths with people selling things, a farmers’ market, and live music. The live music was ok, but since country isn’t really my thing, and it definitely isn’t Paula’s, we didn’t stay long. It turns out, however, that this event may be occurring again on upcoming Thursday evenings. That should be fun. I can go out and people watch and listen to local live music.

After leaving that event, we went back the way we came and went into McGoon’s, where I discovered Midori Sours are not so bad. Paula and I watched the game and chatted. I ended up with two Midori Sours, and the second one had only about this much Sprite (imagine me showing you a very small amount with my hand). I did end up drinking that one faster than the first one, too, because Paula was drinking fancy shots including a Washington Apple and a Red Headed Slut (they could not make her the Pineapple Upside Down shot), and the Twins were losing 11-0 to the White Sox at the bottom of the 9th. There was no way we were coming back from that.

In the last few months, my alcohol intake has gone up dramatically. This may sound awful, but you have to take into account that before I was averaging one glass of wine or one Mike’s hard lemonade every 7 weeks or so. Since May, I have had several drinks a month. I still have never been drunk, but I don’t mind the occasional tipsiness so much anymore. I won’t lie, though. Even though that second margarita has become exponentially more delicious sounding, getting drunk still does not appeal to me.

Paula and I ended our evening by walking back to my place and watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother, and I informed Paula that I have dibs on the character of Marshall. We may have to fight it out later, because I also have dibs on Target. I’m thinking anywhere that lets me be in a committed relationship with a fictional television show character will let me simultaneously be in a committed relationship with a store, right?

All in all, it was a lovely evening. It was my first time entertaining someone in my very own apartment, and I think it went just fine. Too bad Paula is moving up to the Twin Cities soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment