Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Roosters, Honkers, and Movies on Barns

So in preparation for my upcoming move to the marvelous city of Rochester, MN, I have been doing some serious research. Naturally, I will be looking to make friends, preferably ones with super lame interests like myself. That way I won't feel really self conscious when I seriously (and quite enthusiastically) suggest going to see the Roosters play.

http://www.olmstedhistory.com/roosters/roosters.html

The Roosters are apparently a base ball (space intended) team that plays by the rules of the games in the 1860's and plays in really awesome period uniforms. They use bats and balls similar to the times, and admittance is 2 bits (or 25 cents)! Unfortunately, their season is wrapping up right now, but you can bet I will constantly be attending these events next year! I need to find myself a base ball enthusiast to attend with me!

Something else that looks really exciting is the 30 minute Mayo Carillon concerts. I can only imagine that it is very exciting and loud, and I need someone who is interested in large belles to attend with me. I would not be adverse to my carillon companion being the same as my Roosters companion.

Also, they appear to be showing movies on the side of a barn, which seems to combine three things I like. First, it includes movies such as "Ghostbusters" and "Back to the Future III". Second, it reminds me of the Montreal Film Festival, which I always enjoyed. Lastly, It takes place on the side of a barn. I am the kind of person that would go alone to this, but It is always nice to hav someone along to make comments about the movie to. I'm thinking I will bring popcorn.

My apartment backs up to Honkers field, and that means I can watch collegiate baseball from my bedroom window during the summer. This is very exciting. It also means I need to remember to close the blinds so I don't accidentally flash a stadium full of collegiate baseball fans. That would be bad.

Another event near my home is the Peace Plaza downtown where there is a farmer's market and live music on Saturdays. A Rochester website also promises me some sort of winter market, although I am unsure what that would include. Maybe it is things like Sugar Shacks (maple syrup on the snow), snow cones, and the like. I'll have to make sure to do some more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment