Monday, May 30, 2011

Dinosaur, Teddy, Robot

I love playing boardgames, and lucky for me, this weekend was Memorial Day Weekend in the good old U. S. of A. This means that my family and the Sturm family drove up to the cabin in Wisconsin. Due to the persistent rain and storms, we spent quite a bit of our time inside the cabin. Since there is no television at the cabin (to be clear, there is a TV and a bunch of DVDs), and the quarters are relatively close, a good way to pass the time is by playing board games. Luckily, as I mentioned before, I love boardgames.

This weekend, we played Bananagrams, which is one of my favorites. Then we played a game the Sturm family owns and Martin insisted we play called "Word Power". Initially, I found the game to be overly complicated and rather stressful. The second time we played, however, I knew the rules so I didn't find it nearly as complicated. Actually, the rules are rather simple. Unfortunately for the game, it was still stressful and a little dull, but only because it was so slow moving. It was a game of synonyms and antonyms, but I did not always agree with the answers, and I don't like betting! I am no good at it!

Perhaps with more practice, I will become less anxious and irritated and enjoy playing the game more. Based on other games I enjoy, and just the fact that I like words, all signs point to me really liking Word Power.

Bananagrams

This morning, I played Scrabble Sentence Game for Juniors with my mom and grandma. Mom and Grandma were not terribly interested in the game once it got to the part I personally find the most interesting - when adding words to sentences becomes more difficult. They scoffed at silly, albeit grammatically correct, sentence options and refused to play them. They also refused to make inappropriate sentences. This means that sentences such as Zebras are high and want pot. Maria, a pink farmer cat, rides to school with Paul's brown broom. or John's hot pig ate on her hat for she is tall.  Jill hit a witch. etc. etc. etc.

Scrabble Sentence Game for Juniors

Again, I will state that I very much enjoy playing boardgames with my family and my friends. It always seems that someone comes up with ridiculous ideas, argues stupid points, or tries to impose new rules or disregard the rules already in place. This often leads to a lot of loud talking at each other, some yelling, outrageous suggestions, and people gesticulating wildly.

Below is a clip from the BBC show "Outnumbered" about a family with some very bright, outspoken, and hilarious children. This youtube clip is a compilation of times the family played boardgames during series 2. It reminds me a little bit of when I play boardgames with people.



Anyone up for a game of "Dinosaur, Teddy, Robot"?

No comments:

Post a Comment