Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I've got a case of the Old-Timer's disease.

Alright. It is official. I am old. This is unfortunate because I am chronologically, age-wise, not that old. The number that represents my age is not that big, and the year of my birth was not that long ago, and yet I am old.

The other day I was sitting at home alone, enjoying the lights on the Christmas tree. I had a crocheted blanket in my lap, with a cat on top. The cat was keeping me nice and warm and I sipped my tea with honey and worked on a knitting project. This is because I am an old lady.

Yesterday I curled up on the couch with a good crossword puzzle, my cat, and a cup of tea. Sometimes I talk to myself or the cat. And I felt a strong sense of accomplishment when I finished that New York Times crossword puzzle. I really crushed that one!

Do you know why my cat thinks she is a person? It is because I talk to her like she is one. I am pretty convinced that Squeaky can understand what I am saying, and what is more, I am pretty convinced I can tell what she is saying every once and a while. Am I sounding more and more like an old lady to you?

People my age around here apparently hang out at sports bars. Bah! Those places are noisy and overstimulating! And I dress to practically to ever get hit on. If it is snowing, I wear my snow boots. If it is cold, I wear a winter jacket. Also, I wear a sweater or longsleeve shirt. I am not going to go around in the snow wearing high heeled sandals and a mini skirt with no tights! How am I sounding now?

Tonight I attended a live accordion performance. Granted, it is because I volunteer with some old people once a week, and the concert was for them, but I think I enjoyed it just as much as they did. I sang along with "Roll Out the Barrel" and "Bye, Bye Blackbird" (Yes! I know the words to those songs!). Usually I read to them, chat, and we do trivia, but this live accordion performance was a nice change of pace.

You can see why I am beginning to worry. Why do I have the behaviors of someone more than twice my age? I am nowhere near retirement!

Hold on. I have to go take care of something.....

"Damn kids! Get off my lawn!"

Luckily I am still young enough to think this is funny:










That never happened! I was not seduced by a french man!

No comments:

Post a Comment