Sunday, December 5, 2010

My-Life-Is-Pretty-Awesome Playlist

      A couple of months ago, I made a broken hearted playlist. I haven't needed it in quite some time, however, because as it turns out, my life is pretty awesome. These are some of the delightful tunes I have been listening to lately, and if you are as awesome as me, or your life is pretty awesome, you should probably start listening to this playlist as soon as possible. 

    You'll note that there are many Canadian artists on the list, and that is due to the influence of the incredibly cool and 100% fantastic Protagitron.

   "Carmensita” – Devandra Banhart
This is a great song to listen to in the car on the way to work. I love the rhythms, and while I have absolutely no idea what he is singing about since I don’t speak Spanish, I can’t help but crank it up nice and loud and dance in the car. More than once I have pulled into the school parking lot dancing as much as humanly possible in a car. Yeah, I’m crazy, but it makes me happy. 

"Can’t Get No Satisfaction” – The Rolling Stones
It’s true. I just can’t get not satisfaction, and it certainly isn’t for lack of trying. It is more for lack of talent and general attractiveness, but whatcha gonna do? The Rolling Stones and I have had a long standing relationship. Plus, singing along to this song and dancing in my pajamas is much healthier than feeling sorry for myself, not to mention it is just a good song. 

"Bret, You’ve Got it Goin’ On” -  Flight of the Conchords
While Bret is looking for a woman who is “needy for a weedy shy guy”, I am looking for a man who wants a clumsy, stubborn, over-excitable, kind of crazy woman. And if Bret has got it goin’ on, then I feel like I do, too. Unlike Bret, though, my friends have never admitted to putting a wig on me while I was asleep to deal with their own loneliness.  Also, none of my friends have complimented my beard, or my ability to find short cuts in this part of town.

 “Nothing More to Say” – Joel Plaskett and The Emergency
I love, love, love the opening to this song. Right now, this song couldn’t be truer, either. All the leaves ARE gone, and winter is definitely here. Also, I have nothing more to say to him. This is another great one to sing and dance to in the car in the morning, although the language is not exactly appropriate, so I can’t listen to the beginning really, super loud as I pull into the parking lot, just in case there are children around. But there are almost never children in the parking lot in the morning. Once there was a dog, though. 

  “The Middle” – Jimmy Eat World
As always, this song makes me feel better. It is one of those songs that really pumps me up and gives me energy and reminds me that sometimes it is only in my head that I feel that way. While I may feel like I am struggling to stay afloat, I can’t write myself off yet. And if you know me at all, you know that whenever I hear this song, I dance like a crazy person. It really does not matter where I am when it comes on. I have been lucky so far never to have heard it in an interview or in the middle of an important meeting.

“Don’t Let Us Bring You Down” – Bend Sinister
I was introduced to Bend Sinister in August by my extremely wise former roommate (the Protagitron), and I actually really enjoy a lot of their music. This one reminds me not to let all the little stuff bring me down. You should listen to it and learn the words, because it is awfully fun to just belt it out.
  
"Baba O’Riley” – The Who
Again, this one is just a classic that has been with me throughout my entire life. I remember listening to it in the backseat of my dad’s car and him having to rewind it again and again because we both enjoy it so much. When I think back to all that time I spent listening to music with my dad when I was little, it is really a miracle I can still hear at all.

“Time Breaks Down” – Bend Sinister
Bend Sinister. They’re awesome. Look them up.

“Won’t Back Down” – Tom Petty
This is my theme song. I am stupidly, ridiculously stubborn, and it is something I am learning to accept about myself. It is my belief (even though I have proven myself wrong many times) that if I just keep trying and I don’t give up, I will eventually succeed. To be clear, there have been plenty of incidences in my life where I should not believe this, but logic and reason are completely overshadowed by my stubbornness. Sometimes I think I really could be stood up at the gates of Hell, and I would stand my ground. 

“A Kiss is Not A Contract” – Flight of the Conchords
A kiss is not a contract, but it’s very nice. I can’t go around loving anyone! I just wouldn’t get anything done! To be honest, though, it isn’t like there is a line. Please see number 2 on the list. I just think this song is silly.

“Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side” – The Magnetic Fields
This goofy ditty makes me giggle a little bit every time. It is fun and funny. You should listen to it while doing dishes. That’s what I do.

“Middle Management” – Bishop Allen
Another good one for the ride to work, “Middle Management” will stick in your head at least long enough to entertain you for the walk from the car to the classroom. I know I don’t work in an office setting, but every once and a while I feel like it still applies. We don’t have a water cooler, but we do have a lounge. And I have never felt like this isn’t the job for me, but I have felt frustration. But it is just a good song, and I get to yell “ALRIGHT!” in the car, which I like. 

“Non, Je ne Regrette Rien” – Edith Piaf
This one is fun to sing along to in the car, while doing dishes, while folding laundry, or whatever. You just need to make sure that you have the energy and wind power to sing along as loudly and dramatically as possible. Over-exaggerated facial expressions are a must, as are dramatic operetta-esque arm and body movements. And I suppose it is true. My life is not so bad, and everything that has happened before now has put me where I am now, and so I don’t regret it. My life is pretty awesome, even though I seem to meet one disaster after another. But that is just because I am accident prone and terribly unlucky. But I am lucky in that I have wonderful friends and family who are amazing, I have a job, I have a comfortable home, and I can play the piano, which brings me a lot of joy. 

  “Things Will Get Better” – Bend Sinister
If I am having a rough time, I still love to listen to this song. After “Won’t Back Down” it exactly describes how I feel about life. If things aren’t perfect right now, don’t worry about it. Keep working. Keep doing your best. Keep your head up. Things will get better (even though it might take forever)!

If you have any songs or artists you think I need to add or consider adding, let me know. I am thinking of doing some more research on Joel Plankett. I got a kick out of his song about the teacher as well, but I don't know it as well. That is probably because I listen to "Nothing More to Say" quite a few times during the week, but I've only heard that song once all the way through. I may have to remedy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment