Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tea and Mr. Darcy

I love Jane Austen novels. Even when I am frustrated with a character, I am drawn into their world. The only one I have started that I haven't managed to finish is Emma, and to be fair, it is a big book, and I started doing a lot of traveling about halfway through it. I'm sure if I started it again, I would finish. I just need to find the time to read again! Maybe that is what I should do with my holiday break.

I also need to read Northanger Abbey. Unlike Emma, though, I really have no idea what it is about. Time to go to the library!

While Mansfield Park is certainly worth the read, it isn't the first one to read if you are new to Jane Austen. Might I suggest the classic Pride and Prejudice Pride And Prejudice followed by the newer movie version, and then of course the BBC 6 hour long mini-series. Hello there, Mr. Darcy!

Pride and Prejudice - The Special Edition (A&E, 1996) 

Of course, I am partial to Sense and Sensibility, despite the modern heeby-jeebies I get from Marianne's marriage in the end. I suppose it was a different time, and if you completely ignore their age difference, it is a very sweet and well suited match.
Sense and Sensibility (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (B&N Classics) Wouldn't much recommend the movie, however.

It has been decided, then! This Christmas break I will finish (after re-starting) Emma, read Northanger Abbey, and watch the BBC mini-series of "Pride and Prejudice" all in one day, probably in my pajamas, with popcorn, ice cream, and tea.

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention Persuasion?! Note to everyone: I also really enjoy Persuasion.

    ReplyDelete