Thursday, February 24, 2011

Groceries are Good

I love grocery shopping. It is definitely my favorite "chore" of all time, and possibly near the top of my favorite things to do. As a person who loves food, it seems only natural that I would enjoy going to a place where the walls are literally lined with food. I enjoy looking at all the brands, seeing what is available and planning future meals or snacks, reading ingredients, and shopping the weekly sales. I even enjoy comparing prices between brands. At Target and Cub Foods, they tell you how much you are paying per unit, and I love comparing these numbers. Don't assume I always buy the cheapest, though. No one should have to eat the no-name brand of Macaroni and Cheese! That doesn't mean I don't take the time to compare the prices, anyway.

It's ok. I know that I am a little bit on the crazier side. I choose to just go with it, though.

The pitfall of loving the grocery store is that even when I make sure to go when I am not hungry, and even when I make a list, I almost always end up with impulse buys. Trader Joe's is a dangerous fairytale land for me where I can impulse buy  delicious frozen dinners, fantastic cheeses, or inexpensive snack foods. While I love this store more than Hy-Vee, it is necessary that I attempt some show of self-restraint and only go every other time.

Today was a bad day for the grocery budget, but a wonderful day for my kitchen and stomach. Not only did I go to Trader Joe's, but I discovered a new little specialty store nearby called Zzest. In fact, Zzest not only sells "groceries" (I put it in quotes because it is, in my opinion, to fancy and expensive to be called "groceries" by us mere mortal folk), but it has a little cafe and wine bar with outdoor seating. Oh boy do I want to go back this spring or summer and sit under their little twinkling lights and have a glass of wine!

So, my first stop was Zzest, and I went in with the intent of just looking around. There were too many delicious things! With so many delicious and exotic options, it is a wonder I managed to walk out with only three items in my bag! I bought some new chai tea, hot chocolate with lavender, and some homemade jam.

Giddy with delight, I went over to Trader Joe's to get the perishables on my list. With the intent of purchasing milk, yogurt, one or two frozen dinners, and ONE treat, I chose to bring in my smallest re-usable bag. I admit I failed, though not as miserably as in the past. I ended up buying some new salad dressing (once I remembered that my other salad dressing was at work), some take-and-bake croissants, coffee, and spinach and artichoke dip.

Do I regret my purchases? Not at all. Not even a little, tiny bit.

The spinach and artichoke dip is already gone, and I plan on having coffee and croissants for breakfast!

*Last chance to vote on your favorite Canadian province! Vote now!*

No comments:

Post a Comment