Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Further Lessons Provided by "Law & Order: SVU"

As I have mentioned before and will openly admit to in public, I unashamedly enjoy watching the NBC television series "Law & Order: SVU". I love the characters and the outrageous plots. Frankly, I am a little upset (though not at all surprised) that the show is on hiatus as of right now.



I am upset, you see, because for me "Law & Order: SVU" is not just a television show. Oh, no! It is a complete multi-media educational experience. Often, it feeds off of and elaborates on (somewhat, kind of) current events. This means I don't really have to watch the news. If it is important and about rape, murder and rape, sex trafficking, kidnapping, or any of the other special victim crimes, I am sure "Law & Order: SVU" will do some sort of episode on it within a couple of months. And let's be honest - "Law & Order: SVU" is much more entertaining than my local news. I have little to no desire to solve crimes with what's-her-face the evening news anchor, but I frequently stop what I am doing to help out Olivia and Elliot!

Tonight I watched the episode entitled Possessed from the most recent season. As usual, I knew I would learn something. Even if I learned nothing knew, I would be reminded that educated women who live lone and have cats will probably be raped and or killed in their own apartment or possibly in the park.

Oh, crap! I'm and educated woman who lives alone with her cat! It is only a matter of time, my friends.

Anyway, the lesson I learned from Possessed was fairly simple. Being abused, raped, and sexually assaulted really messes a person up. The trauma is never over.

As usual, I will go rock in the corner now after locking all the doors. "Law & Order: SVU" makes it look like this is all there is out there. I'm of the belief, however, that the world is not such a bad place. Plenty of horrible things happen, but the world is mostly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment