Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm So Happy Playlist

Things are looking pretty good right now, even though I still don't have a contract for next year, yet.  Still I am feeling pretty confident about work, and I know I am good at my job. That doesn't mean I am not feeling a certain amount of stress about the whole thing. It just means I am stressed out but in a good way.

In other news, the new (and unfortunately more expensive than the old) asthma meds are working. Sure, I'm a little extra jittery and have trouble focusing from time to time, but I can take a deep breath without pain. Also, I ran - ran - up the stairs today, and still had energy to do a little jumping around dance. After all of that, I still wasn't out of breath. That, my friends, is pretty awesome.

In other other news, a nice, funny, intelligent, cute, etc. gentleman has voluntarily kissed me more than once.

So below is my "I'm So Happy" Playlist. Unfortunately for you, it seems being involved with someone romantically kind of makes me like some stupid music. In any case, I'm feeling good, and you should feel good, too.


I’m So HappyHokus Pick
Alright. I know this is a Christian pop/rock group, but I don’t care. I like this song, ok? Get off of my back! Geez! It is very happy, upbeat, and sounds like the best day ever. One line is, “Free food inside!” You know how I feel about food. Plus, the title of this ditty and the refrain explain how I feel right now pretty well. I am so happy.

I’m Too Sexy – Right Said Fred
Because I am so happy, it has made me a little goofier. I feel more confident and silly. This means that sometimes when I am at home, I put on this song really loud and sing along while doing really exaggerated and made-up model moves, faces, and poses. Luckily, I have so far remembered to close the blinds before these performances, but Downstairs Neighbor is probably wondering what is going on up here. Not that hearing “I’m Too Sexy” with a lot of footsteps is probably the weirdest thing he hears coming from up here.

Come Fly Away – Jeremy Fisher
Just like “I Can Change” by LCD Soundsystem, this particular song was introduced to me on the radio. Since there is about one and a half radio stations here, and they apparently each only are allowed to play three songs at any given time, whenever I do listen to the radio, I am brainwashed into liking music I wouldn’t otherwise have sought out. “Come Fly Away” is very upbeat and very easy to sing along with. It really isn’t anything amazing or innovative, but it is definitely a happy song and has been very successful in raising my spirits even higher. This one is a good one to listen to in the morning when at the stoplight at the intersection of 3rd and highway 14. Trust me.

You Really Got Me – The Kinks
First of all, The Kinks are just awesome, and this song is just awesome. This song is a good one to blast and sing at the top of your lungs – practically screaming – while dancing as much as possible in the car on the way to work. You can do this routine on the way to work if you’d like, but I personally need something a little more relaxing on the way to work these days. I need to save my energy.

Never Let You Go – Third Eye Blind
This song brings me back. Right now I am at the point in my life where I can’t tell if I am a real adult or not. This means I don’t know if I am old or young right now, and I am constantly receiving conflicting information from the world. All of that aside, though, this song is fun to sing in kind of a falsetto voice, and it is absolutely necessary to know all of the words, including during the speaking (rap?) part. You might want to sing the guitar part, too, when there is no vocal part.

Oh, Boy! – The Crickets
Fantastic song. Period. This is one of those songs I can listen to six times in a row and not be bored. 

Spirit In The Sky – Norman Greenbaum
A song that has stood the test of time and proven its awesomeness time and time again, “Spirit In The Sky” is, quite simply, fantastic. I personally enjoy singing this song when driving around and running errands. Naturally it needs to be played very loudly so all the other cars around you who aren’t cool enough to be listening to music can tell what you are listening to inside your car. Also, you need to sing Mr. Greenbaum’s part as well as the backup singers’ parts, and for added emphasis, you should probably wave your arms around in the air a lot. 

In The Summer Time – Mungo Jerry
Right now, in case you haven’t noticed, it is summertime in Rochester, so this song just seems fitting. This song is very fun, despite the part about, “If her daddy’s rich, take her out for a meal. If her daddy’s poor, just do what you feel.”  Does she not get any say in these summertime dating activities? Also, I’ll admit that I rarely listen to the whole song. While it is only 3:33, it sometimes feels at least twenty times as long. Still, the opening is happy enough and lends itself well to silly dancing that I recommend it and probably listen to the first minute or so a couple of times a day.

Faster – Matt Nathanson
I will admit that I got this song free from Starbucks. One day after work but with still several things to do that evening, I broke down and bought a fluffy coffee at Starbucks and I got a free iTunes playlist which was pretty exciting. For some reason, this is my favorite song on the list, and I listen to it quite often. It makes me kind of want to dance and sing and smile, which I think is the point.  After about the thirteenth listen or so, even though I could sing along, I actually started thinking about the lyrics. Depending on how you think about it, this could be a very dirty song. This actually makes me like it even more.

I Want You To Want MeCheap Trick
I’ve always liked this song. I have mentioned more than once here, too, that it is very fun to say the lyrics to your friends in a very serious voice while putting your hand on their arm and making pleading eye contact. If your friends are as amazing as mine, they will play along.

Hey! Baby – Bruce Channel
I have liked this song since we played it in pep band in high school. The fact that it is in the movie Dirty Dancing earns it another thousand points, so it is very high on my personal list of good songs. When I sing along either by myself or if other people that were in my high school band are around, I like to add the “Ooh! Ah!” part, even though it isn’t in the recording. “Hey! Baby! (Ooh! Ah!) I wanna know-ow-ow if you’ll be my girl!”

Don’t Bring Me Down – ELO
Bruce? Gruss? Who cares? Hey, guys, don’t bring me down, ok? Oh-whoo hoo!

Lov3r – Kyle Andrews
I’m not really sure how I started listening to this song, but I don’t regret it. I kind of get a kick out of it because I actually saw the title the day after I had a discussion with Mr. Sturm about using numbers for letters in writing.  Also, the name of the album is “Kangaroo” which is pretty great.

Blister In The Sun – Violent Femmes
I was shocked – SHOCKED – to discover that my 13 year old sister had not heard this song prior to me blasting it at her in the car on the way home from one of her swim meets. Where did my parents go wrong?

“Let me go on! Like a blister in the sun!” That is some vivid imagery. Can’t you imagine a blister in the sun? Think about it. It sounds so gross, but wonderful. This song is another full-body-dancing-in-the-car-don’t-care-that-the-guy-in-the-truck-next-to-you- is-staring-and-the-lady-next-to-you-is-laughing songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment