Sunday, January 9, 2011

Biscotti 101

Today I went to Sopra Sotto to take a biscotti making course. I figured it was Sunday, no one wanted to play with me except Squeaky, I didn't particularly want to do any more housework, and I didn't even really need to go in to work. Alas, the events in Rochester for this weekend were slim pickings, so I had to do a little google research outside my normal realm.

I found Sopra Sotto, which is an Italian goods store in the fancy-schmancy complex called "The Shops at University Square" (which I find amusing since we have no four year university actually based here in the city). This particular course was only on biscotti, was purely demo (we did not get to even go behind the counter), and was a fraction of the price of their other classes. With nothing better to do, a curiosity, and in an attempt to fulfill my goal of being more social, I went and paid my $25.

It was pretty amazing. Kathy, our instructor, is an Italian-Lebanese woman who grew up in Canada. Her husband is French-Canadian, which makes her all the more awesome. She was even wearing an apron from a store in Quebec City, and I recognized the artist! I have been in that store more than once!

Kathy did all the heavy lifting in the biscotti course while the rest of us sipped cappuccinos, cafe americanos, and a glass of Tuaca, which kind of burned going down. She tried to press another cup of coffee with amaretto on us, but there were few takers. I am pretty sure they were trying to get me a bit tipsy, but eratic with a caffeine buzz. But with nowhere to go and no one to see later, I didn't mind. Especially since I walked to the class, probably a mere half mile or so from home. Kathy was an awesome demo instructor, and kept us all entertained and involved in the conversation. She answered all our questions, even when they weren't about biscotti, but about other Italian foods. Her husband and I had a nice chat, too, about music, McGill, and Francophones in Quebec.

We made Biscotti di Prato, Amaretto and Cherry Biscotti, Honey and Anise Biscotti, and Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti. They were all amazing, and she made it look so easy, I can probably accomplish similar results at home. My favorite was probably the Amaretto and Cherry Biscotti, with the traditional Biscotti di Prato in a close second. I think my father would enjoy the Honey and Anise Biscotti, and while it was my least favorite, it was still fabulously delicious. Interested in a recipe? Let me know which one you want.

Let's check on the day's goals, shall we?

Learn to Make Biscotti: Check. Completed.
Be More Social: Well....Check.....but still with people twice my age. I think I need to re-examine my lifestyle choices. Everything I do has me surrounded with people 10-20 years my senior. Don't get me wrong, these people are awesome, but they are at a different point in their life. I have no kids, no spouse, and no kitchen-aid mixer. That is where I am at with life, and I am pretty happy and secure in my life lately.

More goals and directives for this week:

Go to yoga class
Finish To Kill a Mockingbird in time for book club
Start Northanger Abbey
Find and befriend people my age

That last one is going to be the toughest one! I can do it, though! I will persist in my stubborn, albeit so far unsuccessful, attempt to find single people my age to play with!

And for goodness sake! Take the game survey!

No comments:

Post a Comment