Saturday, January 8, 2011

Results of the Jane Austen Heroine Survey

Dissappointingly, only three people participated in the Favorite Jane Austen Heroine Survey. Is that because you hated the survey, you didn't know where to find it, or you haven't read any Jane Austen?

The results are as follows:

Emma (Emma)
  0%
Eleanor (Sense and Sensibility)
33%
Marianne (Sense and Sensibility)
  0%
Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
  33%
Fanny Price (Mansfield Park)
  0%
Anne Elliot (Persuasion)
  33%




Again, I am a bit disappointed in the participation. I guess if I had voted, I would probably have to vote for Eleanor from Sense and Sensibility which would put her as the winner for this particular survey. 





In other news, I spent the entire gift card I received from a student today at Barnes and Noble. One of the books I bought was To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, because I am supposed to have it read by Monday night for the book club I joined. I also purchased Northanger Abbey. Remember when I said I was going to read Northanger Abbey and Emma over winter break? Obviously that didn't happen. But it is my goal to read Northanger Abbey by June 2011. That seems reasonable, right?



Not having read To Kill a Mockingbird since I was 14 years old, I am pleased to discover that it is quite good. I read about 1/3 of it this evening while baking an orange chocolate torte, making cheesy risotto, drinking tea while waiting for dinner to cook, and while drinking a half glass of white Zinfandel and eating dinner. It is as good as critics say, and even more surprisingly, as good as I remember it.



Now take the new survey! Quick! Before you forget!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I bet you know where my vote went, right?

    I haven't read TKAM since Grade 9, when it was the required class-wide reading book for English. I feel like it's more applicable to American students. I remember not minding the book, although I had some issues with how it dealt with Mayella. I will, however, forever be grateful to it for leading to the movie version, and Gregory Peck's Atticus Finch, aka King of the DILFs.

    And your day sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete