Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How old are you?

My younger (but much taller) brother came to visit me in Rochester, and he volunteered in my classroom for a little over one day. In that time, he had many interesting encounters.

The first question every student asked him was about his age. What is it about elementary students being obsessed with age? Many of my students repeatedly ask me how old I am. Instead of telling them how old I am, I give them the month and year of my birth and tell them they can figure it out. I figure the math practice is good for them. Unfortunately, most of my students are incapable of 4 digit subtraction, and those that are are incapable of setting up the problem to begin with. A few of my students have successfully done the math (one third grader even did it in his head!), but the other students, for whatever reason, refuse to listen to them. Kids are funny.

One 1st grade boy wanted to know if Max had a bike. When he said he didn't, this boy immediately assumed it was because Max broke it, and he spent the next twenty minutes being really distracted and repeatedly asking Max why on earth he broke his bike?

While Max was reading the oh-so-exciting story "Dim Sum for Everyone" to  a group of 1st graders, one student raised her hand and asked Max why some people have blue eyes. I'm not sure what made her think of that question - perhaps it is because my brother has very blue eyes? Max, after a confused look and a quick snicker, told this student he wasn't going to answer that question right then. I pointed out to her that it had nothing to do with the story, and she kind of dropped it. Later, Max told me he kind of wanted to explain the whole science behind blue eyes. I am glad he didn't.

One student reacted particularly strongly to Max. This 4th grader hid from Max at first, then began rapid firing questions such as "Are you a monster?", "Are you from outer space?", and "Are you evil?" When Max humored him and answered these questions, this student warmed up to him. He asked Max if he had facial hair (which he obviously did), and then began describing, with gestures, the beard that his 13 year old brother was trying to grow. Then he tried to set Max up - not once, but twice - with his 20 year old sister!

Of course there were many other things that got giggles, including one first grader who wrote "My favorite food is sushi" on her paper, but actually wrote "I fart slushi.", which I find infinitely more amusing.

Kids are hilarious. Granted, they are trying at times and make me want to pull my hair out, but overall they are smart, sweet, adorable, amazing, amusing, and hilarious little people!

No comments:

Post a Comment