Saturday, January 1, 2011

'Twas the Year Twaleven (2011)


Twas the year twaleven,
And all through the apartment
Squeaky and I were not moving
Because we felt so darn spent.
The stocking was hung on the shelf there still.
Putting away decorations can be such a pill.
Squeaky is snuggled in the corner of the couch.
Since she’s been shaved, she has been quite a grouch.
And I in my cephalopod shirt and zebra socks,
Have decided that this year, twaleven, already rocks.
When suddenly from my stomach came such a clatter!
I haven’t eaten in two hours is what is the matter!
Away to the kitchen I flew in a flash,
Looking for something on which I could gnash!
The leftover pizza still sits on the counter.
And the open wine in the fridge I will soon encounter.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a white chocolate cookie near an empty bottle of beer.
I thought I had cleaned fairly well from the party,
My friends’ appetite for drinks had certainly been hearty.
We’d played Bananagrams, Dirty Minds, and Kings for a start,
And of course there was talking – a real heart to heart.
Appletinis, Fat Tires, wine and champagne,
Rum and Cokes and mojitos we drank without strain.
To the kitchen! To the living room!
Now play some games! Play some games! Let’s resume!
As midnight drew nearer,
It became so much clearer,
That despite our young ages it was hard to stay awake.
Kyle and Dani took a little catnap break.
And then with much plastic glasses clinking
We rung in the New Year but before the champagne drinking –
We realized we still had a minute to go
So we redid the countdown – reenacted the show.
And once the New Year had barely started,
Each person to their resting place they all parted.
Since my apartment is not all the large
We had to do some creative arranging with Paula in charge.
With all us asleep much before two,
I had plenty of time to dream about who
Is important to me in this coming year,
And with all of the recent changes in my life, I have little to fear.
There are good times and bad times – ups and downs,
And the year twaleven will certainly have smiles and frowns,
But I am happy to be here and happy in life,
I’ll learn some new things this year – maybe playing the fife?
So to all my friends and family whom I love so dear –
Thank you so much and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment