Saturday, January 15, 2011

Results of the "Favorite 2 Person Board Game Survey" and Chess Records Artists

The results are in for the "Favorite 2-person Board Game Survey"! Yay! At last I will know which two person board game my readers prefer! While I chided you on the last survey for your lack of participation, I am pleased to report that this survey had more than double the participants. Still, participation is low, and those of you who aren't voting know who you are.

There is a three way tie for favorite board game, so after I share the results, I will have to cast my vote and see if that changes anything.


Mancala              0%
Othello                0%
Guess Who?       14%
Checkers             0%
Chess                  28%
Battleship            28%
Stratego              28%

To be honest, I am surprised that chess and Stratego tied with Battleship. Don't get me wrong - I love Stratego and continue to play with the set I've had since I was a child, despite the fact that some of the piece are mangled. AnneMarie, our dog when I was younger, munched on a few of them. Chess is a game I just do not enjoy. To cast my vote, I would have to vote for Battleship, making it the honorary winner of this particular survey.

For the next survey, you may need some background. This particular survey is going to ask you about your favorite Chess Records rock and roll artist. Recently, I watched the movie "Cadillac Records" and enjoyed it thoroughly. Then, while driving around Rochester this evening, I was listening to an evening show about the music of Bo Diddly, and it reminded me how much I really like early rock and roll music. Please see below to find out who these people are, if you are not familiar. And if you are not familiar with some of these folks, go and get familiar!

Etta James: Perhaps best known for "At Last", when she broke through onto the pop charts, this young artist with a rough exterior had many songs you should know. You can hear her put her heart and soul into everything she sings.


"All I Could Do Was Cry"



Can't you just feel her pain? Have you ever had your heart broken? Oh, Etta!

"I Just Wanna Make Love to You"


I dare you to listen to that and sit perfectly still.

Willy Dixon: Willy Dixon wrote a lot of music that was later redone by more famous, white artists including, but not limited to The Rolling Stones.

"Spoonful"

Man knew his blues and his bass.

Chuck Berry: Chuck Berry signed with Chess Records in 1955, after chatting with Muddy Waters in Chicago. His career took off, and he had singles at the top of the rock and roll and pop charts. You probably know "Johnny B. Goode" and "Roll Over Beethoven" at least.

"Roll Over Beethoven"


Howlin' Wolf: Nee Chester Arthur Burnett, this man howled like a wolf! His song "Smokestack Lightning" is listed as one of the songs that helped shape rock and roll.

"Smokestack Lightnin'"



Little Walter: Little Walter brought harmonica to the forefront of blues recording. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March of 2008.

"Juke"


Muddy Waters: You better know who Muddy Waters is! Bringing Mississippi Blues to the Windy City, Muddy Waters was an important Rock and Roll and Blues artist. Even the Rolling Stones were a big fan, and supposedly named their band after one of his songs.

"Rollin' Stone"


Bo Diddley: The man sometimes known as "The Originator" because of his roll in bridging the blues with Rock and Roll. Many of his songs were later remade by artists such as Eric Clapton and The Doors. He also based some of his earlier music on children's tunes including "Old McDonald".

"Who Do You Love?"


So who do YOU love? Choose in the new survey!

No comments:

Post a Comment