Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another Playlist


The following playlist is ideal for cleaning, commuting, or doing tedious tasks. It is meant to be listened to alone so you can really belt it out and dance like a crazy person.

Manic MondayThe Bangles
This marvelous song off The Bangles’ album “Different Light” was fairly popular back in the day. I remember listening to it on cassette tape quite loudly in my father’s car. My mother, too, played this tape, though not quite as loudly. I enjoy it partially for nostalgic purposes, partly because of its upbeatness, and mostly because I feel like most days of the week are “manic Mondays”. Really, this song applies to almost every day.

ResistensenKaizers Orchestra
Recommended to me by a man who apparently knows his stuff, this song really reeled me in. After the first listening, I was intrigued, and after the third listening, I was hooked. Can I understand what they are saying? No, not other than the occasional word such as “revolver” or “Hong Kong”, which seem to be the same in Norwegian and English.

I Can ChangeLCD Soundsystem
This song was played often on The Current last month, and when I was too lazy or in too much of a hurry to plug in my ipod, my morning choices were The Current or nothing. Please know that I really do enjoy The Current, it just seemed that they were playing the same three songs every day on the way to work. This one kind of grew on me.

Walk Like an EgyptianThe Bangles
Another one from my childhood, this particular Bangles hit is known even by those who don’t know The Bangles. It is fun to dance to in the car, and fun to sing along with. Way-o! Way-o! WA-a-a-ay-O!

I Want You to Want Me Cheap Trick
While I certainly enjoy the cover by Letters to Cleo, Cheap Trick definitely deserves props for this song. How wonderful are these lyrics? Pretty wonderful. How fun is it to sing to song? Pretty fun. How much more fun is it to recite these lines in a very serious speaking voice to your friends? Incredibly so.

Time is on My SideThe Rolling Stones
This underrated Rolling Stones song is worth a listen, especially if you only know the super-duper big hits. This one is fun to sing while swaying back and forth and gesticulating forcefully (as if drunk) when saying “Yes it is!”

Vare DemonerKaizers Orchestra
So much did I enjoy “Resistensen” that I began listening to other songs by Kaizers Orchestra. The opening to this one reminds me of surfing and makes me dance kind of goofy in the car. Granted, I always dance goofy, especially when in the car, but when this song comes on, goofy is my intent.  Unfortunately, since I can’t understand anything, I am having a beast of a time singing along. Mostly I just mumble nonsense syllables.

How Can I Love You If You Won’t Lie DownSilver Jews
Just the title of the song gets a giggle out of me. After that, I enjoy the opening tambourine roll. All in all, a short little song that is fun to sing along to.

Mother’s Little HelperThe Rolling Stones
Somedays, even though I am not a mother, I feel like I could use one of those little helpers.  Sometimes colleagues recommend margaritas, and yet I remain sober. While work may make be extremely batty somedays, I do love my job. Also, as a feminist, I find this song both amusing and repulsive.

What’s Victoria’s SecretRick Springfield
After seeing Rick Springfield in concert (which was awesome and not at all lame), I did add a couple of his other songs (songs that are not “Jessie’s Girl”) to my playlist. I like this one because it is so remarkably close to “Jessie’s Girl” it was easy to learn. Good old Rick Springfield found a hit, and tried to make it work again with different lyrics.

A Chicken With Its Head Cut OffMagnetic Fields
The Magnetic Fields are awesome, and if you don’t listen to them, you should. This one gives some very interesting and amusing imagery. Also, I really love the lyrics and tune during the bridge. “We don’t have to be stars exploding in the night or electric eels under the covers. We don’t have to be anything quite so unreal, let’s just be lovers.”

Mercy Duffy
This one is super fun to sing and super fun to flail around (ahem…I mean “dance”) to. Not only good for the car, like all others on this list, it is wonderful for cooking or doing dishes to, as well as cleaning the floor, folding laundry, or whatever, as long as you don’t have to have any sort of steady hand. I guarantee that if you start singing along, you will start moving, too.

I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)The Proclaimers
This one I like to sing in a silly, pretend serious voice while making a funny face.  Of course it is necessary to sing all parts, especially when it comes to the “dadadada”s.

No comments:

Post a Comment