Thursday, March 10, 2011

Missing Montreal

Inspired by what I just read at The Daily Protagitron, I have decided to create my own list of things I miss about Montreal. Some of them are repeats, I know, but that should let you know how wonderful they really are.

* The metro

*The underground city - I got lost more than once in there my first few days in the city, and then I never looked back. It was wonderful getting from one end of the city to the other, never having to go out in the harsh winter weather. And of course, there were shops and people to look at the whole time!

*Language controversies/Language Police - Really? We're going to get upset at the IRISH pub because they have signs labeled in Gaelic bigger than French? Really? No one even reads Gaelic! They are there to help set the mood of the pub! Also, stop signs in France say "Stop", but you're apparently so French yours need to say "Arret".

*Any kind of food from any ethnicity available any time of day at almost any price point

*The multitude of cultural activities - The city is literally bursting at the seams with culture! From museums to concerts to the opera to whatever else you can think of, it is all available.

*Festivals all year round - I specifically miss the movie festival. I really miss watching films outside on the side of "Place Des Arts".

*Speaking French and having the reply be IN FRENCH!

*Giving directions in French and having them be understood

*Hockey-mania

*Living in a walkable city - I used to do so much walking! I could walk to the grocery store, the movie theatre, school, a concert, the museum, just walk to see the city.....

*The Protagitron, as well as a few others (you know who you are!)

*Middle-aged Quebecois men - They always seemed kind of greasy, and try as I might, I could never understand a single word they said to me. For all I know, they were telling hilarious jokes (or being really filthy), because most of the time they'd laugh their smoker's laugh after telling me something.

*The fact that high end shops are sandwiched between exotic dance places - Of course this reminds me mostly of the prominent and historical Club Super Sexe.

*Mont Royal - Between people watching, the nice views of the city, and watching squirrels eat french fries, it was a nice place to spend an afternoon.

*The crazy signs - I LOVE the picture signs in this city. The one that warns you of falling ice is a picture of a stick figure walking under an awning with a GIANT ICICLE coming down directly towards his head. Some you can only guess at the meaning. Don't fall backwards down the hill? Don't run sideways into the lake? Beware of picnic tables?

*Bloc Quebecois - Amazing, amazing political party. Do look them up. A while back, they came up with their own campaign music videos to reel in them young people. Please enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Café L'Etranger always reminds me of my friend, who didn't even like their sandwiches and described it as a "cave of bad 90s furniture." Which kind of made me laugh.

    Also, good call on pointing out the gravelly-voiced old men.

    ReplyDelete