Thursday, March 3, 2011

How the Suffix "-itis" May be Ruining the World

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a delightful book by Wilson Follett entitled "Modern American Usage: A Guide" (1966) from a used bookstore north of the Twin Cities. Being a word-nerd, an ESL teacher, and with my hobby of continuing my linguistic education, it would have been a crime not to buy this book. So far it has been money well spent.

Currently, this book has become my coffee table book. Placed right beside the latest William-Sonoma catalog (Yes! They are finally arriving at my apartment!), Mr. Follett's writings have brought me many moments of happy entertainment.

The following is an excerpt from his entry on the suffix "itis":

"-itis. As an ending attached to the name of one of the organs of the body, -itis denotes the irritation or inflammation of  that organ. Appendicitis is the great exemplar...To attribute to -itis the meaning of addiction, obsession, monomania, or simply It's a disease with him is a culpable affectation rooted in ignorance. Wagneritis, projectitis, discotehequitis, and the like are needless and silly."

I think his examples of the improper use for "-itis" not only date him, but may explain his disgust with the suffix's misuse. Also, the word "monomania" is excellent, and I am going to start using it as often as possible. People are going to start thinking that I have monomaniaitis.

*Quick! Take the Favorite Season survey!*

No comments:

Post a Comment