Sunday, April 17, 2011

Feeding the Birds

This evening I accomplished something I've been dreaming of for about five months now, and it feels good. When I lived with my parents, one of my favorite things was watching the birds. Their house has many windows, and outside many of these windows are bird feeders or bird baths where I could watch a variety of birds from woodpeckers and nuthatches to cardinals and goldfinches.

While living in Montreal, not only did I not have the energy or the level of commitment to purchase, set-up, and maintain a bird feeder, but I'm pretty sure it only would have attracted pigeons. This would have been bad since I don't particularly care for pigeons, and our landlords were actually taking measures to ward off the pigeons. Putting up a bird feeder would have been very counterproductive.

Now in Rochester in my second floor apartment, I have been dreaming of putting up a bird feeder. Right now I can watch the occasional bird in the tree that grows right up against the house, or I can stand at the window and watch them hop around in the yard, but I want more of them up close! Now, I could buy a shepherd's hook and hang it out in the yard, but then I would have to stand at the window and look down. This would mean I would miss a lot of the bird feeding activity. This would be less than ideal.

Growing up one year, my family received a bird feeder with a one-way mirror that hung in the kitchen window. Gradually, the suction cups gave way and that particular bird feeder fell to its death from the kitchen window onto the rocks two stories below, but I got it in my head last month that that was the kind of bird feeder I need.

Since that idea burrowed into my head, I have been casually browsing for such a bird feeder whenever I went to any sort of store. Unfortunately, these window bird feeders are apparently hard to come by. This evening, however, I decided enough was enough and I was going to find that bird feeder, fill it with bird seed, and hang it in the window or die trying! Alright, maybe I didn't want to die trying, but I was pretty determined.

First, I went to the feed store at the corner of Broadway and US-14. Certainly such a place has a variety of bird feeding apparatuses. Most of my parents' bird feeders were purchased at the local feed store in their town. Unfortunately, this particular Rochester feed store is closed on Sundays.

Not at all deterred, I continued on my quest, driving southbound on Broadway. I did a drive-by of the tractor store since I remembered seeing advertisements for birdseed there a while back. After a skeptical look at the outside and a cursory examination of the trucks in the parking lot, I decided that this was probably not the store I was looking for, so I continued to weave through the business park.

It was a bit confusing, but I did manage to zig and zag and make it to Fleet Farm. Once inside, I turned right and found lots of interesting things including camouflage bikinis and archery equipment, but not bird feeders. I asked a gal if they carried bird feeders, even though I was 99% sure they did and probably could have just wandered around the behemoth store and eventually find them. She smiled and chattered away to me about the beauty of an outdoors store as she led me to their enormous bird feeder selection. It was truly amazing, and they had so many that I liked! However, they did not have any that hang in windows, nor did they have any devices that I could find to hang a bird feeder in the window. I was about to go through their stock a bit more thoroughly when it was time for the store to close, so I moseyed back out to my car.

Once in the car, I zipped across the street to Lowe's and immediately found the birdseed and feeder section. While significantly smaller than the selection at Fleet Farm, Lowe's had what I was looking for. I purchased to little window hooks with suction cups that can each hold up to five pounds. Then I purchased a suet cage for less than two dollars, and some nut-free berry suet for less than two dollars. Since I also like birds such as chickadees, I wanted a non-suet feeder as well, but the limited selection made it difficult to find a small feeder that would weight less than five pounds when filled with seed that I could hang practically up against the window. Eventually I settled on a pre-filled sack of seeds that has thistle in it, which should attract goldfinches. This set me back about five dollars.

More than pleased with my purchases, I rode home with the sunroof open, singing along to my music at the top of my lungs. Once in the door, I immediately set to work setting up both feeders in the only living room window that doesn't have a screen. I would hang one up in the kitchen window to watch as I do the dishes, but I don't particularly want to encourage the cat to start sitting in the sink. I could also hang one up in the bedroom window that doesn't have a screen, but I spend almost no time awake in my bedroom, and would not be able to enjoy the feeders as much in there. So, I decided to attach them both to one of the living room windows. Perhaps the neighbor will get a kick out of this as well, as it is the window facing her living room window.

Read for action, I cooked myself some dinner and sat in the living room doing work on the computer and watching television. Alas, no birds have come to the feeder yet. I know that I set the feeders up late in the day, and also bird need time to scope out food sources and will watch a bit before determining the feeders safe, but I can't but help feel a little disappointed. Now a little after 8pm and officially dark out, I will close the blinds, but you can bet they'll be open bright and early at 6am tomorrow!

I fully intend on watching happy little birds eat at my bird feeders every morning while drinking my tea. I'm sure Squeaky will enjoy the new "Kitty TV" as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment