Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I Want a Spring Romance" Playlist


The sun was actually shining today, and it was warm enough that I wore a t-shirt and no jacket today. This is amazing because it actually snowed twice last week.

This warm, bright, happy weather has lifted my spirit. Sure I am currently searching for two jobs, my future is extremely uncertain, my allergies are making my voice husky and nose runny, and so what if a fourth grader basically told me my life was pathetic and I was a lost cause. (Correction - not "basically", that is what the fourth grader said.) The sun is out, the sky is blue, and I feel happy.

All this happiness is making me want to direct my efforts towards cultivating a spring romance. I'm turning into a dopey, lovesick sixteen year old girl, I guess. But I suppose worse things could happen.

In honor of my loss of insanity as well as the recent glimpse of spring, I present to you an "I Want a Spring Romance!" playlist. Please enjoy and make sure you sing along nice and loud. Dancing is also required for most tracks.

Spring Romance - Bend Sinister
Obviously this song makes the cut for a number of reasons. The reason it is at the top of the list is, of course, the title of the song. Besides that, Bend Sinister is awesome, the album is awesome, and I really enjoy the song musically. The content speaks to me as well. On the first listening, you might not be too impressed, so I encourage you to listen to it two or three times in a row, then come back and re-listen the next day. You’ll end up really liking it.

I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick
I’ve already discussed this song before, but it is truly a great song. Not only does it necessitate crazy dancing and singing out of tune, but, as I’ve asserted before, it is extremely fun to quote in a serious, conversational tone to friends.

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
This annoyingly catchy song has been a part of my life since about the time I learned to ride a bike. It is one of those songs that is both irritating and fantastic simultaneously. In fact, I have recently recovered from a couple-year-spell where I did not particularly care for this song, but now I can listen to it a couple of times in a row and enjoy it more with every playing. It is kind of a sweet song. He’d walk 1,000 miles to fall down at her door. That’s a lot of miles. No one is proclaiming they’d do that for me.
Also, I don’t know what “havering” is, and I know I could easily look it up online, but at this point I feel like it would ruin part of the magic of the song.

And Then He Kissed Me -  The Crystals
This Crystals' hit is one of the many songs on my playlist consisting entirely of 1960’s girl group songs. It is a pretty amazing playlist of cliché lyrics, predictable melodies, non-existent harmonies, and fantastic story lines. The Protagitron was once compiling a playlist of teen love tragedy songs, and I suppose this is my not-as-depressing version. “And Then He Kissed Me” is so delightfully upbeat and fun to sing along with. I also enjoy making funny faces and shaking my hips to this ditty while scrubbing the stovetop. It makes chores more fun.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
Though it certainly isn’t for lack of trying.

In a Different Light - The Bangles
This eighties hit is a little creepy, but to be fair, many songs from the eighties were creepy or inappropriate. While most people know “Walk Like an Egyptian” and “Manic Monday” off of this album, this track is actually the name of the entire album. It certainly has a driving beat and a catchy refrain. 

She's So High - Tal Bachman
This song really brings me back to middle school. I know that I was a huge dork in middle school, and I know that I am still an enormous geek, and I am ok with that. Recently, Dani went back to our middle school where one of our favorite and most beloved teachers tried to tell her that we were not huge dorks. While I appreciate her effort, I’ve embraced my uncoolness. Anyway, this song was basically on the radio non-stop one year – possibly 7th grade?

It should be noted that while this song was released on cd, it was also released on cassette tape. Remember cassette tapes? I tried to explain what a walkman is to my first graders last week. It did not go well.
 
Love Man - Otis Redding 
While I'm not a man, six feet something, 210 lbs, nor do I want to take out a bunch of girls, I somehow still connect to this song. I don’t know how. It is in many movies that I enjoy, and I really like to circle my hips and skip around while this song plays.

Syrup and Honey - Duffy
 You may recognize the distinctive voice from the incredibly popular “Mercy”, but I think this song is just as good. I completely agree with her, too. I don’t want any future significant other wasting money on syrup and honey, because I am sweet enough. Also, I don’t want them spending every minute “making a living” because I’d probably like to see them sometimes, too. I assume we are together because we enjoy each other’s company. Anyway, good song, and should I ever be in a real relationship again, I’m sure I’ll feel something similar.

Oh! Darling - The Beatles
Ever since I got my driver’s license, I’ve loved – LOVED – listening to this song at an alarmingly loud volume on repeat while basically screaming the lyrics and using my entire upper body to emphasize certain words. 

If You Wanna Be Happy – Jimmy Soul
I once had a good friend tell me this song gave her hope. She’s of course ridiculous since she is an amazing and beautiful person, although she’d probably deny it until her face turned blue. As someone who is not, shall we say, “pretty”?, I get a kick out of this song. Sure I’m not gorgeous, but there are certainly good things about that. Plus, I love the screaming in the song that reminds me of Scuttle from Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”.

Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side - The Magnetic Fields
Again, I know I’ve already discussed this song, but I really, truly enjoy it. It is one of the songs that really got me interested in The Magnetic Fields. It is quirky and funny and real, and I certainly appreciate that.

Ain't We Got Fun - Doris Day with The Norman Luboff Choir; Paul Weston & His Orchestra
Off my album “Ain’t Misbehavin’”, I can’t help but raise my eyebrows and pretend like I know how to dance like they did back in the Roaring Twenties.

Hold Me Tight - Evan Rachel Wood (from "Across the Universe")
A Beatle’s cover, I actually prefer the version from the movie to the original. “Hold Me Tight” is a good song to belt out at while really shaking it at a stop light on the drive to work. It sounds better if the window is rolled down. It is simple science, really.

You Really Got Me - The Kinks
I actually really like The Kinks, and while this is definitely one of their most popular songs, it should not be discounted because of it. One of the best parts of this song is mimicking some of the interesting vowel pronunciations. Did I mention I’m a huge geek?

2 comments:

  1. Love your playlist! I also dream of a spring romance--right now, everywhere you go, everyone's all hand-holdy and smoochy. It's like, ugh, it's totally my turn now. Right? RIGHT?!

    Also:
    "HEY MAN!"
    "Yeeaahh?"
    "You're wife is uuuuugly!"
    "Yeah, but she sure can cook!"

    (and I LOVE the song "She's So High"! YOU TOTALLY GET ME!)

    Sorry for this whole incoherent comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now. It is our turn NOW. Your comment is totally coherent. I followed every word! (But that might be because I totally get you!)

    ReplyDelete