Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Being Uncooperative

As you may or may not know, I am working as a teacher for the Migrant Program in Rochester/Plainview over the summer. Our program is k-12 and needs to incorporate a post-secondary aspect, and I elected myself to take care of this scheduling issue. Boy am I kicking myself now.

The requirement is that we have at least one thing going on about post-secondary opportunities, but I thought, "Our program is better than that! We can have three! Or at least two! We live in Rochester! I'll get RCTC, the Mayo, and a certain computer company located in our city!*"

So I started my day calling RCTC and asking about getting a campus tour, having someone talk to us about courses of studies, job opportunities, financial aid, and student life. The people at RCTC were extremely friendly, and I look forward to finalizing our plans together in the near future.

The Mayo was next on my list, and while I was on hold for quite a while, each person I spoke with was pleasant and very willing to do whatever they could to help our program. I spoke to several happy people, and they have already left me phone messages to talk more about this opportunity with me. I also look forward to working with Mayo employees in the near future to provide my students with an understanding of health care professions and the education needed to obtain positions in this field.

Then I called a certain computer company located in our city. First, I looked up their Rochester number online and called it. The robotic sounding operator only gave me two choices: I could either be connected to the 1-800 number, or I could press 2 and talk to someone about a local problem. I naively assumed this meant I would be talking to someone in Rochester. That was not so.

When the man on the phone answered and gave me his quality assurance speech, I waited patiently, then I dove in with my story about how I am a teacher working in the Migrant Program in our city and we are looking for speakers or possible field trip opportunities to learn about different jobs and the education we need to possibly obtain these jobs.

There was silence for a moment on the other line. Then the conversation went very much like what I have typed below, though not exactly because I didn't record the conversation, nor was I typing it as we spoke. What I'm saying is that this isn't a perfectly 100% accurate word for word script of what happened this afternoon, but it is pretty close.

Man: Are you in Rochester?
Me: Yes. I'm in Rochester, and I would like to speak with someone about possibly coming out to speak with my students.
Man: Who is your salesman?
Me: What?
Man: What is the name of your salesman?
Me: No, no! I don't have a salesman. I would like to speak to someone about coming out to our school and talking to my students about what it is like working for your company.
Man: Give me the name of the person you would like me to connect you to.
Me: Ummm....That's my question. Who can I talk to about educational opportunities your company provides?
Man: Please give me the name of the person you would like to talk to.
Me: Yes. I would if I could, but, you see, I called you because I would like to know the name. My question is who - WHO - can I call about talking to my students about your company?
Man: What school do you work at?
Me: Well, we're based out of (school name deleted), but we're part of the public school system. Our students don't know a lot about post-secondary opportunities, and to be honest, they don't know a lot about the different kinds of jobs even available, so we are asking people to come talk to our students about their jobs and levels of education.
Man: So what you're saying is that our employees come out to three different schools and give speeches?
Me: No....
Man: That's what you said. You said our employees go out to three different schools and speak with students. 
Me: No.....I am with the public school system, and I would like someone to come out and talk to my students. I don't know if they will do it or not, but I know your company is very involved in education here in town.
Man: Are you in Rochester?
Me: Yes. I am in Rochester and I work for the public schools.
Man: Yes ma'am. You've already said that.
Pause
Man: Give me the name of the person you would like to speak with so I can connect you.
Me: What? No. That's my question! What is the name of the person I can talk to? WHO can I talk to?
Man: Ma'am. I am trying to help you, but you are not being very cooperative.
Me: (As I make a very confused face on my side of the telephone) Wha-I-what? - I - I'm trying to cooperate, I really am. I just want to know the name of the person I can talk to about getting someone to speak to my students.
Man: Yes ma'am. You've already said that. Please give me the name of the person you would like to speak to.
Me: Yes. That's my question.
Man: Ma'am. I need you to try to cooperate with me.
Me: What? I am cooperating. I'm just asking you a question!
Man: I'm going to put you on hold now, ma'am.

It was a very frustrating conversation. How come he got to keep saying and asking the same things over and over again, but when I repeated myself, he said "Yes ma'am, You've already said that". That's not fair. And I was being perfectly civil with my happy tone of voice and everything! I was not being uncooperative, although I began to feel a little more hostile after being accused of being uncooperative.

I am VERY cooperative.

mumble mumble I'll cooperate HIM....mumble mumble.....

Perhaps tomorrow I will drive directly to this company's office complex and sit on their doorstep. This way I can ask each individual employee if they will come and speak with my students.

*Name changed to protect the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment