Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Who Makes My Dreams Come True?

Last night, I went to bed exhausted, but feeling pretty darn good. This morning, I felt fantastic. There is no reason really for me to feel so fantastic. In fact, I should feel downright cruddy - My job is done with June 10th at 4pm; I may never see my students again; I have a lot more paperwork to get done; I need to finish packing my entire room; I need to inventory the curriculum; and I start a new job on Monday that I know very little about.

But against all odds, I felt truly great and really good about myself this morning. In fact, I had this wonderful Hall and Oates song stuck in my head from the moment I woke up.



Of course, as usual, I don't know all the words, so when I sang it to myself at work I used mostly nonsense syllables. At home, the nonsense syllables are really not that big of a deal, but when I am singing audibly at school surrounded by my students and colleagues, I probably should not just be singing in non-English sounding syllables, especially considering I do not have a good singing voice. Come to think of it, it probably sounds like I am just speaking gibberish to myself with no discernible melody.

How am I not in a padded cell right now?

Ever since I saw (500) Days of Summer, the song as always reminded me of this scene:



It is such a great scene. Have you ever woken up in the morning and felt just like that? Like the music is going, you're dancing, and the world is doing an entirely upbeat and choreographed number with you? Gosh it feels good! That's how I felt this morning, and for no reason! I haven't even entered into a satisfying sexual relationship with a partner I've been thinking about for a while (as in the scene above).

Hopefully I won't soon be wallowing in self-pity and loneliness again any time soon, though, like the character from this film. I would rather take my time focusing on the happy, world-is-playing-with-me, exciting-choreographed-musical-numbers part.

Do you ever wish your life was a musical?

1 comment: